D-Day: Time for transplant

Ok, so today is the day….assuming that there is a bed for me!

It was 2 years ago, yesterday, that I was formally diagnosed with myeloma, and now after a year of being symptom free, and nearly a year of chemotherapy it is time for me to have my Stem Cell Transplant (SCT).

So what will happen to me? Well, it starts off today with me having a high dose of chemotherapy – a drug called mephalan. This only takes an hour or so and is done to remove as many of the remaining cancer cells from my body. Then, tomorrow, they will give me the stem cells back that they collected a week ago. From what I can understand, I will feel ok until around Thursday, when I will start to feel very sick and weak (they will have practically killed me and I will have no immune system). I am likely to feel like this for about 5-6 days (whooppee!!) and at this point, many people just sleep and feel pretty awful. But after this, I should start to pick up – this is because my stem cells will be producing enough white blood cells to give me some immunity 🙂

So basically, we have been advised not to have any visitors except for family. This reduces the chances of me getting an infection which could (and this isn’t me bigging it up!) be fatal. Obviously, once I am home and picking up, it would be lovely to start seeing people so hopefully we can arrange something then. Nick has asked that people go through him if they would like to visit, so perhaps you can call him on 07917 627840.

Some people have asked for the hospital address and that is:

Bud Flannigan Ward, The Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, Surrey, SM2 5PT.

So, at the moment, I am waiting for the phone call. And I am really really nervous. We have been waiting for this for so long and now it is finally a reality. I will be absolutely gutted if they don’t have a bed for me today. Nick and I took the kids out yesterday for a family day out and Rebecca was really sad about me going in. It is the first time she has really shown her emotions about all of this process, and I think it will be really hard for both her and Sam if I am still here tonight! Not to mention how it will affect Nick and I. I don’t think I can bear seeing her cry again about it 😦

Anyway, I will update again once I am in the hospital…..hopefully I will be well enough to write a few updates….and if not, I may ask Nick or my sister to do a ‘guest post’!!!


About Deb Gascoyne

I am wife of one, mother of two and a person in my own right :-) I have used my diagnosis of myeloma to allow me to focus on what I CAN achieve and not what I can't. My blog is a way of me spilling out....it is for me more than you I'm afraid. But if it helps you along the way, that is an absolute bonus for me :-)
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to D-Day: Time for transplant

  1. feresaknit says:

    With a bit of luck by the weekend you’ll be feeling like death warmed up! Boom boom. ;D Just remember it doesn’t last forever – I know that sounds like the obvious but you do need to keep that in mind at the lowest point. I would have done it again if it would have benefited me.

    Oh and speaking of which you’ve probably seen lots about sucking ice cubes before, during and after melphalan – I’d certainly give it a go. I had one hospital lolly during and I had a LOT of pain in the upper digestive area. A lot from the USA see to do it and it seems to work although according to my doc at the time there is no concrete medical reason why. Nothing to lose other than being known as ‘the one who asked for ice.’

    Warm wishes xx


  2. vulcan605 says:

    Hi, Deb, Hope all goes well , we’ll be thinking of you, Jeff and Frances


  3. Scott Haigh says:

    The ice slows or stops the flow of blood to capillaries apparently – Myeloma Beacon say so!.
    Do give it a go, I passed on it and, well the four or so days of the neutrafil count of zero was really tough. Just as I thought things were getting better, my mouth and tongue were so so painful. Even teeth rubbing on skin hurt and everything was really dry constantly.

    A good few people have said the ice works a treat!


  4. I don’t have any real experience to add to things. Mike sucked Ribena ice lollies throughout the Melphalan and seemed to suffer slightly less than some with mouth problems. They didn’t help with the rest of his digestive tract unfortunately. The waiting is the worst part, 18 days in Mike’s case. Fingers crossed you are reading this from your hospital bed. 🙂


What are you thinking?

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s